Resonance Design

everything and nothing that involves notions of a design and thinking pattern that Rob van Kranenburg and me called "Resonance Design" (or Extelligence Design, your choice)

Sunday, November 27, 2005

The Internet of Dings

I wanna tag more (and I wanna blog more, too), I am always intrigued how new technological phenomena and trends result in us spending more time with non-living things, instead of increasing, not even enhancing, the time we spend with the "happy" and "beautiful" people. It is, even more disturbing that most of the "big projects" don't quite work either as intended or at all.

So these days I am getting myself a product. Nicely wrapped up, I come home and first of all I might give my eBay counterpart a good recommendation in case I bought it there, I can then register myself, or better the product, at the personal account page on the internet, which might lead to more enetering addresses and consumer profiling next time I check there. I might blog the cool new thing if I have a trendy blog or big-brother blog, I might blog and tag it at relevant other news and discussion sites. Now I could look at all the accessories I might want for my new thing, or actually download the latest conncetion software and slowly get my laptop, mobile, car and my undies connected to this thing, which is clever because otherwise, if I do this after I started using my new product, I might have to reboot or update my logs and lists on my new product or even install a new OS as the old version doesn't support all what I want to do (or in Sony's case it's bizarrly the new version that let's you do less on the PSP how future is that?)
So I finally wanna be all over my new product and show it to friends and introduce them to the new terms this product is using, so I actually have to talk about something. But wait, I have to create this new ID, log it in somewhere and maybe or not sync it to that other network of I don't know.
Two weeks later, I might be able to use and even enjoy my new product.
Maybe I should have bought that bottle of nice red wine I saw instead, some of my friends, including me the nice social glue that alcohol is and even my doctor says one bottle a day keeps the birdflu away.
Now can someone really tell me what the future of connectivity should consist of? If someone says bubble, I pinch you!